TreeCrafters Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The first of the Mushroom Spirits. (by zapmunk)

3 posters

Go down

The first of the Mushroom Spirits. (by zapmunk) Empty The first of the Mushroom Spirits. (by zapmunk)

Post by zapmunk Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:48 pm

I am writing this in the unfortunate periods of time when my internet decides to break, or when I am waiting for my saplings to grow, so it may not be top-quality writing. In addition, due to the fact that I have no internet while writing this, I usually cannot take screenshots of my fungus.
However, being the first (and possibly last) of the mushroom spirits, I feel obligated to keep a log of my adventures.

I will be using the following terms that may or may not be rather vague without explanation:
-The Powers That Be: The awesome admins. Thanks guys! I may also use this term to refer to ambiguous deities that control various random things like weather.
-The Growth: The existing mycelium on my island
-Spore: a sapling. I am a mushroom spirit, and I have a strong aversion to trees and leaves. Especially leaves. I work around this by pretending that birch saplings are "spores" that I can grow more mycelium from.
-Cyst: My growth, as opposed to the pre-existing growth. This term may change as I grow larger.
-Heart Cyst: My heart log, which is actually a piece of mushroom stem.
-Mycelium: I actually use this to refer to MY growth, not the mushroom-grass that makes up The Growth.

Beginning days.
I am but a spore, floating about. When I first came to this new land, I was not sure if it would be hospitable. Though the Powers That Be have decided to allow my existence for the time being, the world is much more cruel. These first days are a blur, I am being blown about by the wind, searching for a place sufficiently damp to begin my growth. Eventually, the Powers That Be blessed me with an exceptionally powerful wind that blew me to a distant island, already covered in a beautiful Growth. I pick a large, round red mushroom from The Growth to attach myself to, and thus I begin.

Day 1.
I started by attempting to protect my Heart Cyst with the little material that I have. Unfortunately, I don't have enough to fully surround it, and I am stuck. I finally remove some, and place it down to stand on.
Now I need to begin growth of my mycelium. There is no room around my Cyst to plant a spore, so I have to go out a bit. I have to tread on The Growth to do so, but I hug my Cyst and manage to maintain my connection. I remove a small spot of The Growth to plant my Spore, and quickly get back inside my Cyst.

Day 2: The Powers That Be have smiled upon me, they have blessed me with heavy rainfall and have sent a Growth Sprite to fertilize my spores. I quickly harvest more mycelium, enough to fully protect my Heart Cyst and grow some pathways to my spores.

Day 3: I have constructed a door to fully protect the inside of my Cyst, and have started growing a tendril down. I don't have enough mycelium to complete it though, and the departure of the Growth Sprite has left my spores to grow on their own. The Growth also insists on maintaining it's territory, and aggressively reclaimed the ground that I had planted my spores in. I tried to reason with it, but it's not very intelligent. I dig some sand from under my Cyst and wall off The Growth from my spores.

Day 4: I realized that The Growth inhibits animals and the undead. Growing a tendril to the mainland is now a high priority for me. The Growth Sprite has also returned! He grew my spores once more, and gave me a brown mushroom, the likes of which I was previously missing.

Day 5: I find another gift from the Powers That Be: a small supply of bones to make fertilizer! I grow one spore with it, saving the rest for mushrooms. I then expand my spore-growth area with more sand and plant more spores. I anxiously wait for night to grow my small brown mushroom...

Day 5.5: It's glorious. Finally, my starving spirit has sustenance! I feel more invigorated than ever. I thank The Growth for it's cooperation in growing my mushrooms, and forgive it for it's annoying actions on my spores.

Days 6-7: The Powers That Be continue to honer me. Today, the Growth Sprite grew 2 giant mushrooms on some floating islands above The Growth, an addition to fertilizing my spores. It's coming and going seems to be frequent, though enigmatic.

Day 8: I continue to grow my tentril underground. I push through some stone and make a furnace. I am a little nervous about it, as my mycelium is quite flammable compared to The Growth's. My next goal is to establish my Cyst on the adjacent islands, before looking for the mainland.

Day 9: I found some more bones atop my Cyst. Perhaps some variety of flying beast dropped them there after a meal? I thank The Powers That Be, though my curiosity wonders why they honer me so.

Day 10: I pushed my tendril deeper into the earth, and shot another up to explore a floating island. The Powers That Be have also given me a cake and a Map.
(On a serious note: Why do you keep giving me stuff?)

Days 11-13: I began consuming the bones I had accumulated, and produced enough material to grow a fruiting body. I can see other islands from it, including one that The Growth has not taken-- I am redirecting my underground tendril towards it. Perhaps it is close to the mainland.

Day 14: I continue digging. I find some iron, and make myself a pick of it. I begin to swell my tendril, forming a knot near my cyst. Hopefully, this can become a more proper place to plant my spores than the outside.

Day 15-20: I have pushed up a watch bulb from my underground tendril. I am very close to the grassy island. I hope to get there soon-- I can see reeds on it from here.

Day 20-25: I expanded my aboveground spore field, and have continued expansion of my underground knot. I also dug a shaft to allow The Growth into my cyst, and eventually onto the island I am digging towards

Last edited by zapmunk on Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:49 pm; edited 5 times in total

zapmunk

Back to top Go down

The first of the Mushroom Spirits. (by zapmunk) Empty Re: The first of the Mushroom Spirits. (by zapmunk)

Post by Mailleweaver Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:11 pm

zapmunk wrote:
Why do you keep giving me stuff?
Maybe they don't have anything better to do. Wink
Mailleweaver
Mailleweaver
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

The first of the Mushroom Spirits. (by zapmunk) Empty Re: The first of the Mushroom Spirits. (by zapmunk)

Post by anotherstiffler Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:41 pm

Mailleweaver wrote:
zapmunk wrote:
Why do you keep giving me stuff?
Maybe they don't have anything better to do. Wink

Wait a second... if you don't have anything better to do, we can definitely fix that problem. Razz

Zapmunk - I like what you've got going so far. Keep it up!
anotherstiffler
anotherstiffler
Admin
Admin

http://treecrafters.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down