TreeCrafters Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The next server version

+2
Blazinfox555
Mailleweaver
6 posters

Go down

What should we do with the server?

The next server version Vote_lcap7%The next server version Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 1 ]
The next server version Vote_lcap7%The next server version Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 1 ]
The next server version Vote_lcap0%The next server version Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
The next server version Vote_lcap64%The next server version Vote_rcap 64% 
[ 9 ]
The next server version Vote_lcap21%The next server version Vote_rcap 21% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 14

The next server version Empty The next server version

Post by Mailleweaver Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:20 pm

I split this off of Blazin's laptop thread partly because it's gone away from the original topic and partly because I can. Smile

I'm reluctant to change maps/modpack, now. This map is starting to get good, and I don't want to lose it. It might cause Aria to get disenchanted with it, too, since she just got started on her actual tree. I feel bad about changing the map so often. They never get a chance to build up any history anymore. This one has only been around for 8 months or so.

Last edited by Mailleweaver on Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mailleweaver
Mailleweaver
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

The next server version Empty Re: The next server version

Post by Blazinfox555 Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:19 pm

Whatever we want to do, I'm just glad that I'll be ready when we finally go for it.
Blazinfox555
Blazinfox555
Admin
Admin

http://elephantfreak.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

The next server version Empty The next server version

Post by grillo126 Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:38 pm

The decision is up to you Maille in the end.
I got fed up with unhinged, it's really lacky in all the feature I consider core in tree house building.
The tech is really nice but full of bugs and half-implemented. Gregtech has updated miles ahead of this modpack...Unhinged is just left rotting by the ftb team. You will have to move on eventually

grillo126

Back to top Go down

Post by Mailleweaver Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:38 pm

What would you guys think of setting up a private FTB pack? It would come with its own difficulties, but would allow us to keep it updated ourselves instead of relying on someone else. Getting it hosted as a private pack on FTB would still allow everyone to just download it like any other pack instead of having to do updates themselves to keep up with the server.

I used to do my own mod compilations for ssp back in the days before Tekkit and FTB, and it sometimes got very involved. Mods these days are even more numerous and complicated than they were back then, so if we went this route I'd probably want to build it from an existing pack just to have a fairly stable baseline to work from.

Edit:

Actually, now I'm thinking of going for a custom 1.7.10 pack. Looking at the list of vanilla changes and how many mods are updated makes me want to skip 1.6 and just eat the time I'll have to sink into putting together a fully custom pack. The FTB team is so far behind!

What do you guys think? It would probably take me weeks to put together, but could last us a very long time with occasional updates. I would probably go semi-minimalistic with it -- adding only what I think fits the Challenge and/or is especially useful. Kind of like MagicFarm2.

Here's a link to a list of mods that are updated for 1.7.10.

I added a pole so we can vote for what general direction we want to go. Vote for more than one option if a couple of them appeal to you. If you're not playing with us now, vote for the one(s) that would bring you in. Smile
Mailleweaver
Mailleweaver
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Althing Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:19 pm

Sounds cool, but there are potential problems. Mod permissions for one.
When looking up how to get a private FTB pack hosted (was wonder a few weeks back) it seems that FTB needs you to contact each mod creator for permission to use their mod in your pack, private FTB pack or not. Permissions given to FTB or other packs do not apply, you need your own permission (except for some of the authors who have written a public blank check for permission)

That was the impression I was left with anyway, people complaining etc..

But it does sound interesting.
I wouldn't mind some mods that make the end game entertaining. Some tech is good for that, a way to keep you busy. Tech and automation is a way to problem solve and build something functional. It has the side benefit of producing resources, but that just means after effort and time, your not spending as much of your end game days grinding for the same resources as day 1, which get's tiring. Like RL technology it has the power to give you free time to create, or the ability to play with a new hobby. There is a sense of satisfaction to be gained after you create a well oiled engine room.

Edit: Wow that is a big list of Mods. SOme really good ones too.
I'll make a list of ones I think might be fun, and why.
I'll try not to go too overboard with tech. I think some minimal tech is good, but Mods that add useful decoration (Bibliocraft), useful new features, and new dimensions could keep things interesting.
Althing
Althing

Back to top Go down

Post by Mailleweaver Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:44 pm

The permissions would be a cinch, actually. You only have to get explicit permission for mods that are not listed as "open" on this spreadsheet.

If anyone else is concerned with the hoops that need to be jumped through for a private pack, here are the current guidelines. They're not bad at all.
Mailleweaver
Mailleweaver
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Althing Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:56 pm

Nice Very Happy

If we can pull it off, would that be great. We could have a chance to fine tune an interesting world, and then stick with it. 1.7 is not a bad place to pause for a while, 1.8 has a few neat things, but we can add better features via mods to 1.7.

I can help troubleshoot mod conflicts, I used to make SSP packs with 30-40 mods on MC 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, & 1.6
Which meant dealing with block IDs and whatever else came up, and of course I can test the Mac side of things.
Althing
Althing

Back to top Go down

Post by Mailleweaver Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:05 pm

Did you vote?

I expect that 1.8 mods will take a very long time to come out due to the massive changes to the base of the game in that version, so I think 1.7 is the best place to stop for now if we're going to change and not go vanilla.
Mailleweaver
Mailleweaver
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by grillo126 Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:09 am

I agree with 1.7, even if there are very solid packs in 1.6.
It will allow us to put some serious work on the future map.

HOWEVER
Putting up a modpack is NOT easy, and it takes 1 default config conflict to get crashes all around.

that said, we'd have to select the client mods (AE2, tinker's construct...)and the server mods (mcmmo...)we want to use.
I think the focus should be around creativity (more blocks, especially around trees) and difficulty (for the challenge right?)
We should restraint ourselves with a single energy (i suggest RF) or at most two energies.

To go further, when we get enough vote I suggest we make a topic where everyone suggest mods to add, following some rules like the ones i've mentioned earlier. Then we could make the amalgam and see if it holds together without crashing.

grillo126

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady_Dust_Bunny Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:30 pm

Would a custom modpack include gregtech?

I hate gregtech :c
Lady_Dust_Bunny
Lady_Dust_Bunny

Back to top Go down

Post by grillo126 Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:22 pm

It's up to us LDB Very Happy

By the way, did you guys know about hardcore questing mode?
It's awersome and made the success of Argarian skies and crash landing modpacks.

We could make really good things out of it, like a in-game challenge tutorial, and custom rewards for early, mid and end game progression

grillo126

Back to top Go down

Post by Mailleweaver Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:20 pm

I doubt Gregtech would make it into any custom pack we put together. Greg purposely doesn't play nice with others, to the point of dictating what other mods are not allowed to be used with his. That really pushes me away from anything that he makes.
Mailleweaver
Mailleweaver
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady_Dust_Bunny Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:54 pm

Okay, thanks for answering Very Happy
Lady_Dust_Bunny
Lady_Dust_Bunny

Back to top Go down

Post by Mailleweaver Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:23 pm

I'm split between staying put, making a custom pack, and going vanilla. But it looks like everyone else is leaning entirely toward a custom 1.7 pack, so what mods do you want?
Mailleweaver
Mailleweaver
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Althing Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:22 pm

I'm compiling my list, with justifications for each choice.
I'll post it when I can, probably tomorrow night or Sunday.
Althing
Althing

Back to top Go down

Post by Aiko_Niigata Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:39 pm

ALL I WANT IS WITCHERY, I mean... ehemmmm. I love the idea of a custom mod pack, I have been loving that idea for a long time :OOO btw Witchery is nice.... I haven't really been playing because of the lack of magical mods in unhinged to be honest and I think a magical mod or two would pull me right back in, not to mention me having online school now so no school to interrupt me xD
Aiko_Niigata
Aiko_Niigata

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down